Monday, January 26, 2009

The War in Gaza

8 Random Items for 1/26/2009 #8

Other than a veiled shot at the Likud party, I haven't really commented on the situation in Gaza. Ultimately, both sides of the issue in this country get me pissed off to a degree that could affect my long term health.

I don't consider myself pro-Israel or pro-Palestine. I don't believe that Israel has done everything it could to advance the cause of peace, but by the same token, I'm not one of those whiny liberals who believe that the Palestinians are nothing more than poor little victims of Zionist aggression.

These situations are complicated and it will require a nuanced approach to foreign policy to solve the issue. Ultimately, there must be a home state for the Palestinians and Israel must retain the right to protect itself, and to retaliate when attacked. How we get there isn't nearly as simple as it sounds.

It's heartening to see President Obama ask former Senator George Mitchell to act as an American representative at the peace talks. This means that there is a chance that, once again, the USA will play a positive role in a foreign crisis. It has been a long, long time.

No comments: