Friday, May 1, 2009

Quick 8: Arlen Specter

  1. The same people shocked by Senator Specter's switch from the Republican Party to the Democratic Party are the same people who were shocked that Sen. Lieberman ran as an independent after the Democrats of Connecticutt rejected his sorry ass in a primary. 

  2. In Pennsylvania, this wasn't an option for Specter. Thanks to a "sore loser" law, Specter had no opportunity to lose the Republican primary and then run as an independent. It was obvious to Sen. Specter that he was going to lose to his primary opponent, Pat Toomey, so he took the one action that he knew might guarantee his re-election.

  3. Make no mistake about it, Specter's switch had nothing to do with ideology, or his being treated poorly by the Republicans in the Senate. Truth be told, the Republican caucus would have stood behind Specter because Toomey would be killed in the general election. No, this was about Specter's survival in the Senate. It was a selfish, craven political act of survival.

  4. I love it. The Republicans can make all the excuses they want, but this is a major blow to their party. The 60 seat majority is nice, but it's not the reason I'm so happy about Specter's switch. It's the perception of the switch that I like. The idea that people are going to continue to see the Republican party as an institution that should be abandoned excites me.

  5. Now, I have no patience for the many liberals who are bitching that Specter is going to be a thorn in our own side, much like some of the other conservative Democratic senators. So what? Better a thorn in our side from our own party than in the other party. A conservative Democrat is always better than any Republican, even a moderate one. Yes, being in a big tent party can be a pain in the ass. We have to accommodate liberals, moderates and conservatives in our caucus. None the less, I think this is healthier for our party than the path taken by the Republicans. They long ago purged the last of the Republican liberals and now even their moderates are on the run. We are going to dominate.

  6. Now, I don't disagree with those who are highly critical of the Democratic leadership clearing the playing field for Specter. I would prefer that we wait and see how he behaves in the caucus before making any such promises. Still, if such assurances were required to get him to switch parties, then I can live with it. Support of the leadership does not guarantee that Specter will not face a primary opponent, and it does not guarantee that he will win a primary. Netroot candidates have won before and they will again. In fact, win or lose, I think it is vital that we at the very least give Specter more than a token opponent.

  7. I know that Specter now stands opposed to Card Check and such, but I expect that he will start to come around. We know that he had no problem moving to the right to win the support of Republicans and I suspect he'll have no problem moving to the left if need be. It would be too soon for him to just cravenly switch his positions, after all, he pretends to be a non-partisan moderate. I think if we can get a serious candidate into the primary against Specter, then he will go our way on some crucial votes.

  8. Many moons ago on this blog I was highly critical of Specter, as I am of anything resembling a moderate Republican. I said he was little more than a conservative tool. He's still an idiot. He's still a jackass. Now though, he's a useful tool and I can live with that.

No comments: