Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Quick 8: Short Notes

  1. Sorry for the delay on the last installment of the series on Hank Aaron and racism in baseball. The last post will go up sometime tomorrow afternoon. I had a list of items to write about and I ended up scrapping what I had written and going with a different idea.
  2. The Hank Aaron series is also being republished on Talking Chop, which is not only the best Atlanta Braves blog out there, but is the best baseball blog I've seen. Thanks gondeee!
  3. I will also be starting a new series in the next few days that will again involve baseball. As anyone who has read this blog knows, I'm a proud supporter of labor unions, and with the help of a great book, John Helyar's Lords of the Realm, I'm going to look at one of the more successful union movements.
  4. Look for a series to start in the next several days on eight of the government agencies started during the New Deal. This is part of a larger, broader argument that we will continue to make at this site: sometimes the government can do good.
  5. To stoke the fires of liberalism, we're going to draw out eight lessons from Jimmy Carter's Our Endangered Values. At some point down the road, I'd like to reexamine Carter's Presidency in light of the events of the past three decades.
  6. More brain stuff starting tomorrow! My wife has a shelf of brain books and I look forward to diving back in.
  7. Jon Meacham's American Lion will soon provide us with eight lessons on Andrew Jackson. He was an imperfect President and even less perfect a man, but there is much to learn where he is concerned.
  8. I've got more stuff in the pipeline as well. One project I'm working on is an attempt to read at least one book about every President. Can anyone recommend a good book on James Madison or James Monroe?

1 comment:

MNicoleM said...

"My wife has a shelf of brain books" lol - I know it's true, but that sounds very funny to me for some reason :-)
You'd think I'd be smarter with all the brain books I've read!