Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Role Model

8 Commentaries for 2/4/2009 #2

Like many people, I was captivated by the Summer Olympics from China. Perhaps the greatest story to come out of the Olympics was the triumph of American swimmer Michael Phelps. It was, perhaps, the single greatest one man performance in the history of Olympic athletics. As a long time sports fan, I felt privileged to witness history.

As I'm sure most you know by now, a photograph has been circulated showing Phelps smoking a joint while hanging out with a group of students in South Carolina. There has been much gnashing of teeth, especially in the typically conservative sports press. His status as a "role model" is now in question. Will the country recover?

Well, yeah. I guess I don't understand why this is a big deal. Phelps was viewed as a role model by many for his talent, his work ethic and his attitude. I don't see how this changes anything. Then again, I don't view smoking a joint as an immoral act.

No comments: