Digby has posted a fascinating series of photographs of George W. Bush taken after his farewell speech (which cut off the first half of My Name is Earl on the east coast). The pictures were taken after he had exited the room following the interview, as he was returning to the room to thank his supporters in attendance. It appears that President Bush had been crying.
Certainly, for any President of any stripe, the emotion of saying goodbye to the country must be overwhelming. Chance are, he's just relieved to have it end, but there's a part of me that wants to believe that they are tears of guilt.
I want to believe that Bush was shedding tears because of the state of the country as he exits office. I want to believe that Bush realized, at that moment, how many opportunities he squandered. I want to believe that Bush was overcome by the realization that there are thousands upon thousands of people dead, including over 4000 of our soldiers, who would still be alive if he had never taken office.
I don't believe it though. It simply isn't true.

No comments:
Post a Comment