Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another Reason to Be Proud!

8 Random Items for 12/3/2008 #8

I can never express just how proud I am to be a southerner and come from the south. We have managed yet another dubious accomplishment. Eight of the ten unhealthiest states are southern states. That's right. If you live in Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Florida, Georgia or Arkansas, then chances are you are not healthy. Yes, if you live in one of these eight states, you are more likely not to have health insurance. It is more likely that your baby will be born dead. It is more likely you will have lung cancer. It is more likely you will have a heart attack.

All sarcasm aside, how does this not appall my fellow southerners? Now, I really do love the south, but I'm not a simple minded idiot who just accepts the way things are and assumes that it is for the best. This is appalling. At what point does the progressive nature of the south take over and we fix this?

Here's the greatest irony. When President Obama and the Democratic Congress implement Universal Health Care, it will be states that opposed Obama that benefit the most. There's nothing really new about that, is there?

No comments: