Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thank You Mr. Buckley, But ...

8 Random Items for 11/18/2008 #2

I don't think there's any doubt that if Libertarian Allen Buckley hadn't been in the GA Senate race Saxby Chambliss would have won. (I love third parties to the right ... hate them to the left.) Senate Guru at Tondee's Tavern points to an AJC interview where Buckley, who refuses to give an outright endorsement to Jim Martin, seems to indicate that he prefers Martin to Chambliss, especially on the bailout and on civil liberties.

Is this a worthwhile endorsement? I doubt it. Most Libertarians had no idea who Buckley was to start with. They just voted for him because of the (L) next to his name on the ballot. I'm not even sure they were that excited by Bob Barr. (Were they not more excited by Texas' anti-war racist Ron Paul anyway?)

Obviously, I'm okay with any endorsement that helps send Jim Martin to Washington D.C., but I don't consider the reception of a libertarian endorsement anything for a Democrat to cheer about. Sure, Libertarians tend to be good on social issues, but ultimately, they always seem to find the position on taxes (low, or eliminate them) more compelling than their positions on basic civil rights whenever they find themselves voting. I just can't get behind a party whose basic premise seems to be every man for himself. Selfishness is never a virtue.

No comments: