8 Thoughts About the 2008 Election #2
UPDATED to remove the constant use of the word stupid.
The excitement of Obama's election is tempered somewhat by the passage of Proposition 8 in California. This amendment to the California state constitution eliminates the right of same-sex couples to marry. Why is this necessary?
Look, if you don't believe in homosexual marriage, don't marry someone of the same gender. It really is that simple. How can something that will have ZERO effect on the life of anyone who is not involved in the marriage cause such consternation? Oh yeah. Religion.
Here's the thing: I don't believe churches have any right to tell the government who can or cannot marry anymore than the government has the right to tell a church who it does or does not have to marry within its walls. It's called the separation of church and state and it is one of the bedrock principals on which this nation was founded. If your pastor, priest, rabbi, shaman or reverend tells you otherwise, then he or she is ignorant and should be given a US History textbook at your earliest convenience.
Let's take this one step further. If the invisible person you worship through your religion gives you permission to deny rights to someone because of their sexual orientation, then your religion seems cruel, your god seems cruel and you seem cruel. (As for the argument that these people are distorting the real meaning of Christianity, I could care less. Religion is what the people believe it is. Whether it has a legitimate basis in religious texts is irrelevant to someone who is a non-believer.)
Contrary to what many think, the first amendment does not mean I have to respect your religion or your religious beliefs. I have to respect your right to your religion, but that is as far as I can go. In fact, the first amendment gives me the right to say whatever I want about your religion.
At a time that our nation is rightfully celebrating the election of our first black President, we have many people who supported Barack Obama voting in favor of Proposition 8. Appalling. Homophobia is no worse than racism.
Do you support Proposition 8? Then you are a bigot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I totally love the edited/updated version and think it is 100% accurate without being demeaning :-) Great job!
Post a Comment