- G. Gordon Liddy has contributed at least $5000 to various John McCain campaigns since 1998, including $1000 to McCain's current campaign. (Source 1, Source 2)
- In 1998, G. Gordon Liddy hosted a fundraiser in his Scottsdale, Arizona home for the Senator. McCain says that he didn't know him well at the time. (Source)
- McCain has made several appearances on Liddy's radio program, including one in November of 2007 which included the following John McCain praise: "It’s always a pleasure for me to come on your program, Gordon, and congratulations on your continued success and adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great." (Source)
- One has to wonder for what principles McCain is praising Liddy. Plotting the murder of those that disagree with him? Advocating torture and barbarism in the face of war?
- The media has given McCain a pass for the most part on the G. Gordon Liddy connection. There have been a few newspaper articles but it certainly hasn't dominated the news cycle the way the Obama/Ayers story has. Give credit where it's due. David Letterman grilled McCain about Liddy. McCain was clearly shocked to get the questions. See for yourself.
- In McCain's 2000 campaign, Liddy was scheduled for a speaking engagement for the Senator. When facing criticism for the choice, one county chairman for McCain had the following to say: "Liddy’s judgment might be in question, but I don’t think his character is. He was following orders just like any good soldier, and he didn’t tell on anybody. He felt like he was on a mission and kept his silence." (Source)
- Now, if John McCain really doesn't have a problem with Liddy's actions because he was following orders, then I think it's safe to assume that McCain is more like Bush than anyone wants to believe. I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that someone who has served as a lapdog to both Reagan and Bush would believe the President has the right to order just about anything.
- I'll leave you with this final quote from the same radio interview mentioned above. McCain says to Liddy, "I'm proud of you. I'm proud of your family."
Will the press please begin to explore this relationship a bit more?

No comments:
Post a Comment